Wednesday, May 22, 2013

remembering peral harbor



At first, we thought that they were Air Force planes flying maneuvers. Pretty soon a runner came with orders to send every man who could walk and carry a riffle back to his company. The guys all heard him, got their uniforms, and left. The ones on crutches stayed behind to help me. One sergeant was such a nice-looking man, and he was hurt so badly. I asked him, “Paul, what can I do for you?” and he gently motioned across the room and said, “My buddy needs you.” This truly touched my heart because he cared so much about his friend. I watched from the balcony as men ran out of their barracks to fight, knowing full well that by the end of the day, every one of them would be a hero. A lot of people think that I’m foolish to relive all of this, but I do it so that the men who can’t speak for themselves will not be forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment